Me, paintings, Austin Texas, and anything else I find interesting.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

D.C. cab.


Picture 008
Originally uploaded by ruelloehr.
I'm in D.C. this week for work. D.C. is sort of, kind of cool, but it's not really for me. Here is how the week has gone down so far.

I left Sunday at around 3 pm and got to the airport. Equipped with ample reading material I sat down and awaited the upcoming direct flight. Immediately, my space was invaded by a power mom in a power yoga track suit and her four urchins. Power mom was directing her urchins in a loud and constant manner. It was annoying, so I moved out of earshot.

The plane began boarding and a nervous lump formed in my throat in anticipation of my seat assignment. You know, who you sit next to is critical.

GASP! I was seated next to power mom and her urchins. Drat. I knew that would happen. I endured 3 hours of conversation such as this:

PM: Gavin, your the best reader in your class. I just know it. Your teacher says you just need to work on your reading skills. (This means Gavin is dumb, dumb, dumb).

G: Mommy, your ugly. (Yes!!! Rock on Gavin)

PM: Gavin, you really need to concentrate on your studies, I just know your the smartest boy in your class.

G: How do you know?

PM: I'm a mom. I just know these things. Being a mom is hard job you know, it's the hardest job in the world.

G: No, being a doctor or lawyer is harder. I have to poop.

As we were in the deplaning process, I think Gavin pooped his pants. At least he smelled like he did.

I moved on to baggage to collect big blue (pictured above). All of the people gathered at the mouth of the luggage ejector. Quickly, I moved to the opposite end, hence avoiding the crowd. The people crowd began to contort there faces and snicker. My first thought was that a clown was ejected from the mouth. Then I saw big blue heading my way. They were laughing at my luggage.

You think it would be cool to have a unique suitcase, but it was real heavy. I ended up kicking it or dragging through the airport. Everyone stared. I think for the next trip i will bolt some big ass wheels to it. You know, like wheels from a wheel chair. In fact, it would be very cool if your luggage was motorized and you just ride it the airport exit. Sort of like a segway, except blue.

So anyways, my hotel is a few blocks from the pentagon. Everyone seems old and they are wearing frumpy suits. This sparked my fear of frumpiness and I felt the need to exercise. It was time for a swim, which led to my first awkard moment of the trip.

I roll up to the rooftop pool and it is deserted minus the one 14-ish looking lifegaurd who was casually reading a teen magazine. I was obligated to swim at this time as I had already entered the room, but really, it just made me feel creepty. It sort of felt like that SNL skit where Jim Carrey is a lifegaurd. 30 laps later I went back to my room.

Last night was stellar, I met some friends who live here and we went to dupont circle for drinks drinks and dinner.

I guess that's all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home