Me, paintings, Austin Texas, and anything else I find interesting.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

wretched and yet sublime

I haven't been mean for awhile. It's been festering.

Some nights are destined for the wretched, but when they are salvaged, perhaps they became the best nights of all. A few days back I made Friday evening plans with a friend to spend the evening downtown. Upon making the plans, I immediately decided that it would probably not be so fun. It seemed to me that staying in the confines of my formica paneled home would be much more fitting. I contrived a plan for escape but at the last minute decided that it would not be in my best interest to welch.

I hate welchers.

So downtown I went. Upon my arrival I quickly surveyed the scene. All of my worst suspicions were confirmed. The destination, a piano bar with terrible musicians playing Jimmy Buffet songs for an aging crowd.

Truly eek.

I saw my friend with 4 strangers. She waved hello and I quickly sureveyed the scene. 2 strangers looked ok. The other two strangers:

Ouch.

Stranger 1: A 35+ man decked out in white linen. If he wasn't converting to Islam something something was drastically wrong. His date, way too much makeup and knew all the lyrics to the bad songs.

It can never be said that I'm not a trooper. I endured it for as long as I could. Each table was equipped with a pad of paper and pen for making requests. Desperately, I wanted to snatch the paper and pen and do a few quick sketches, however, linen man beat me too the punch.

Did he make great sketches? Oh no. He quickly scribbled down the following:

AC/DC back in black

With horrible penmanship I might add.

That was my queue (sp?) . Luckily, I knew another gang was about and a quick phone call proved me right. The night was salvaged with some great friends at a cool place.

I drove home at 1 am, the windows down, the a.c. on high, and the check engine light casting an orange glow upon my dashboard. I was greeted at the door by and an orange dog who humped the orange covers on the couch for 3 minutes and then looked at me and took a shit on the floor.

While I'm not fond of dogs shitting in my house or the after smell that comes with it, I couldn't really complain. Things had turned out alright.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home