Me, paintings, Austin Texas, and anything else I find interesting.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

The crystal meth highway


It was a busy week in the warrick county court proceedings section of the paper. The word "meth" was mentioned at least 37 times. Scary.

We have a contest in my house every week for who can find the most people we know. Novels are often written about great men but just the same, I think I could write an entertaining one about those who don't quite fall into that category. Stan Bedsole. This is one human who truly embodies the stigma of mysterious. To be honest, most of what I know about this guy is myth, but I will try to lay some facts down.

Even in the world of trailer parks you have a pecking order. Some trailer parks are nice, they have double wides. Some trailer parks are dilapidated and broken. That's where I met Stan for the first time. I was around 16 or so, I remember because I was driving. A friend coerced me into taking him to the worst of the worst trailer parks in time. I can't remember why but I assume for beer or drugs.

"When we go in, don't look at this guy in the eye. He'll kill you or something.", my friend said. We walked into sad trailer and found Stan sitting on the couch with 10 or hunting knives sitting next to him. He was taking the knives one by one and throwing them into the opposing wall. His girlfriend was laying on the couch with her head in his lap. I would find out later that this was a normal occurance. Wherever he went his girlfriend sat with her head in his lap.

Wierd.

Stan looked out the window. "You driving the tan camaro?" he asked. "Yes." I shakily replied being careful not to look him in the eye. "I have one just like it."

Parked next to me in the parking lot was a car identical to mine........except it was the mad max version. It looked like it had survived a nucleur fallout, but just barely.

That was it. We left, but little did I know I was now marked for life. For the next four years at random times a mad max like camaro would pull up next to me. I would glance over and see Stan, complete with girlfriend's head in lap. "Hey! You want to sell your dashboard?."

"Ummm.......no?

"Shit!!!!" And the camaro would squeal off. We had a few other chance meetings throughout the years. I'm sure the myth was overstated and he was probably an alright guy, but I have no doubts that he was one strange dude.  Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home