Me, paintings, Austin Texas, and anything else I find interesting.

Thursday, April 21, 2005


I was looking through photos for something to make a life size stencil out of and found this one. This is squat, one of my college roomies. I had forgotten about this picture and found it in my shoe box from the pre-digital days.

Squat was good as gold and remains on my favorite persons list. One of my fondest college memories was going to his granny's house. This is an interesting story. His granny lived in a big farmhouse on a ginourmous (i made that word up) farm on the outskirts of the hoosier national forrest in merrilville indiana. After her husband died she packed up her clothes and moved to Indy, leaving the house as it was. All the furniture, plates, silverware, etc. was left there. During hunting season we would go down and spend the weekend. Now keep in mind deer season doesn't come in until after the first frost, so the nights would be brisk. Friends from home would come up. All in all it would be me, squat, white thunder, bubba, windbigler, and drew rainwolf. Since I didn't hunt I would sit around the house and do caclulus homework, the rest of the crew would load up guns and go out and slay a deer. It was drug home and immediately butchered while hanging from a rafter in the garage. ( I didn't watch this part, it would make me gag ). We would cook a huge meal and by then it would be dusk. Sometimes we would go into town and hit the bar and chill with the locals, other times we would sit around and a watch Saturday Night Live on the tiny television that only got two channels.

It was surreal.

White thunder was a born again Chrisitian (and now a missionary) and often told us we were sinners. We would sit around and say to each other, "Man a beer shore would be good right now." After about 15 minutes, Thunder would say, "Oh, alright. Go get some beer." Immediately everyone would pile into a pickup and head into town in search of Killian's red. Of course he would partake when we returned, but this was the necessary ceremony which took place each and every time. Somehow it was necessary.

Drew Rainwolf was an interesting character. He would show up to hunt in a purple tshirt which was all cut up, and some type of leotard. He kind of looked like the Macho Man, Randy Savage. Bubba and Windbigler would disappear to smoke weed and usually get hung up in cornfield where we would have to go pull them out.

The farmhouse itself was kind of creepy, it was old and not well lit and the heat came from radiators so you would often have to sleep in a random spot just to stay warm. On the third floor was a door that led to the outside, there wasn't stairs or anything, just a three story drop. I thought this was odd.

But anyway, I am going to attempt a life size stencil if I can get Kinko's to print one out big enough. This will be a good Sunday project.....  Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home