Me, paintings, Austin Texas, and anything else I find interesting.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

something old something new never sad but sometimes blue

I was doing a build today and had a half hour to kill. It was near the end of the day and everyone was winding down and chatting away. I showed Odanne-sann the picture I was working on and he immediately started cracking up. He gathered his friends around and they all started laughing and speaking in Japanese. Getting these guys to laugh is no easy chore, so I was quite curious.

"Do you know what that means?" he asked. "Oh shit!", I thought. "Nope, you all left before I could ask. I couldn't wait, you know how impatient I am." "Literal translation is 'throat helper'" he said with a grin plastered onto his face. It wasn't candy after all, it was a throat lozenge. Personally, I think it makes the picture that much cooler. They all seemed to like it, which made me happy.

As the idle banter died down, Beauford and I were discussing movies. We got on the subject of the Last samurai. Ohnishi-sann is the quietest of the bunch and rarely speaks, but I could tell he was eavesdropping on our conversation. He looked over at us and quietly spoke one of the coolest lines I have ever heard.

"There are no samurai's left in Japan, but the samurai spirit still lives in some of the people."

Then he went back to work.

Simply awesome.

cirque du soleil is coming to austin. You should go if you live here.

Thats all for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home