Me, paintings, Austin Texas, and anything else I find interesting.

Sunday, March 13, 2005

the zombie survival guide

I rolled over this morning to a sunburn, a mild hangover, and the aching feeling of being beaten up. If I would have sat up in bed and reached for a cigarette, it would have almost been a poetic moment, but I don't smoke. Yesterday was a completely random day and oh do I love days like that even if they injure my body. After showering Saturday morning, I opened the drawer which holds my skivvies and was a little. 2 pairs of underwear (both had more holes than cloth) and 3 socks (none of which matched). It was clear that I had really only one clear objective for Saturday, which was to buy some new socks & underwear.

After gingerly dorking around the house for a bit and going to the library, I sheepishly made my way to Target. I quickly did my shopping and was checking out.

111 dollars.

I am a boy and just spent 111 dollars on t-shirts, socks, and underwear. My ego is somewhat bruised. deflated. About that time the phone rings. "Hey, I want to give you some info on the movie tonight. Meet me at this address at 5:30", the caller says. The wierdness of the day is casually taking shape.

My next stop was a dodgeball match in the park. The weather was utterly beautiful, and a few nights ago, over coffee, I met a fellow native Hoosier. He recounted tales of glorious Saturday dodgeball matches in the park. This is something I simply could not pass up. For 3 hours under the watching texas sun, we threw big red balls adorned with skulls and crossbones at each other. It was quite the eclectic group of people, lots of punkers and also a contingent of deaf people (who kicked our asses). While I still am horribly unathletic and took a mean shot to the beak, it was a total blast.

Rewind to Friday at a place called the "Catfish Parlour" where I am having lunch with some coworkers. One of the kids says, "I am shooting a scene for a film this weekend and I need some extras. Wanna help out?" "Heck yes I do!"

I show up to this swank house not really knowing what to expect. It was a very interesting night. About 20 people are present, a few are friends of this guy but most are local actors and actresses that he found. It was eerily professionalbut SO fun. He shoots his movie scenes and everyone is making nice and having chit-chat. I had hoped to be home by 9 as my entire body was stiffening up from being pelted with rubber balls all day, this wasn't to be. The shooting had no end in sight but I was coereced to leave around 10. My night ended hours later in a dive bar with a good jupebox selection surrounded by really interesting people whom I had just met hours before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home