Me, paintings, Austin Texas, and anything else I find interesting.

Friday, March 18, 2005

gone fishin

ed: have you heard the term Noodlin?
Ruel: noodlin
Ruel: no please define.
ed noodling. it is the art of fishing for catfish with your hands. it is done in the midwest.
Ruel: we just called it fishin'
Ruel: but we use nets called "trot lines"
Ruel: its quite the subculture.
ed: it is with bare hands.
Ruel: no way with the bare hands, you could get "gilled" (thats when you get cut by the fins)
ed: people jump in the rivers where the catfish are burrough in and put a rope through its gills. the catfish weigh 40 pounds.
Ruel: yeah, we caught the big ones. i have picture from when i was like 8 standing next to catfish that were hung up. They were longer than me.
Ruel: The big ones don't taste so good.
Ruel: I think they eat poop.
ed: i saw an article in chicago about this. http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelas-field-guides/Catfish-Techniques/Noodling-for-Catfish-The-Ultimate-Thrill-in-Fishing.html
Ruel: thats hardcore. ah, cabelas. I used to get that magazine at my house. Did you know they sell bottled deer piss? You rub it on yourself before you go hunting. That way you attract the big bucks.
ed: that is womyn only a country girl can like. maybe that is a prerequsite for a good girl in indiana.
Ruel: i don't know. i was never really into smearing myself with piss, then climbing up in a tree at 4 am in the winter, sitting for hours in hopes of blasting something with a gun. I do have friends who swear by it though.
ed: I know. I was the only asian kid in town. my parents never hunted. I was so out of the oridnary. check out my local home newspaper. http://www.im-news.com/
Ruel: is that your hometown newspaper??
ed: where I grew up. it is so hick. i read the sheriff log on a weekly basis.
Ruel: hell yeah
ed: it just came on-line 3 months ago. T1 lines don't go into rural towns.
Ruel: i get mine delivered here in austin. Whenever it shows up, its a fight over reading it. We read the marriage announcements and sherrif's log. There ALWAYS people we know committing heinous crimes and marrying heinous people.
ed: I am at a stage in life where the kids of my friends are making the newspaper.
Ruel: omg.
ed: lots of teenage preganancies
Ruel: i guess where your frends start crankin the little bastards out at 15 that happens

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home